A non-practicing membership is available as an option only at registration renewal for current registered social workers (RSWs) and non-practicing members who will not be engaged in the practice of social work in Newfoundland and Labrador as defined by the Social Workers Act due to:
- being on extended leave,
- residing in another jurisdiction or
- not working.
A non-practicing membership is NOT available for those:
- employed in a related or unrelated field, or
- practicing social work in NL electronically while residing out of province.
Individuals renewing as non-practicing members would complete online renewal through MyNLCSW including submission of the $150 annual fee. If a non-practicing member returns to or starts employment during a given registration year, the non-practicing membership will no longer be in effect. A switch over to active registration will be required, including payment of the $250 fee. Non-practicing members requiring access to the switch over application would email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A non-practicing membership can be maintained indefinitely for those not seeking a return to active practice.
Non-Practicing Membership Conditions:
Non-practicing members must abide by the following membership conditions:
- Will not use the title 'social worker', 'registered social worker', or the RSW designation
- Will not engage in the practice of social work as defined by the Social Workers Act
- Will not lead others to believe they are authorized to practice social work until such a time that they hold an active registration
- Understand that if they return to employment, including a position which does not require registration, their non-practicing membership will no longer be in effect.
BENEFITS OF NON-PRACTICING MEMBERSHIP INCLUDE:
- Ability to return to active social work practice in accordance with the re-entry to practice requirements outlined below,
- Affiliation with the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW),
- Receipt of all NLCSW electronic updates and Connecting Voices newsletters,
- Opportunity to contribute to the work of NLCSW through membership in a variety of committees,
- Access to free continuing education events organized by NLCSW and CASW.
NON-PRACTICING MEMBERS RETURNING TO ACTIVE SOCIAL WORK PRACTICE:
As required under the Social Workers Regulations, re-entry to practice requirements are as follows for non-practicing members with no membership lapse and not actively registered to practice social work in another jurisdiction:
|Non-Practicing Membership||Requirements to Return|
|1-3 years as a non-practicing member||Non-practicing members can return to active social work practice at any time without additional educational requirements|
|3-5 years as a non-practicing member||Non-practicing members who have been non-practicing for more than 3 years but less than 5 years can return to active social work practice by submitting 40 credits if non-practicing for 4 years and 80 credits if non-practicing for 5 years as per CPE Policy statement. If the return to active social work practice occurs outside annual renewal, the number of credits are prorated as per the CPE Policy. At least 40 of the credits must have been completed in the last 2 years before applying for re-entry. Any remaining balance may have been obtained at anytime throughout the period that the individual has been non-practicing. Credits must be submitted through the MyNLCSW.ca Update My CPE feature and include the date of completion, event title and category, and number of hours. If sufficient CPE credits have not been obtained or the submission does not meet the CPE Policy, an individual will be required to successfully complete the appropriate Association of Social Work Boards Exam. Exam details are available by clicking here.|
|5 years or more as a non-practicing member||Successful completion of the appropriate Association of Social Work Boards Exam is required. Exam details are available by clicking here.|
One year is equivalent to one registration year. The registration year runs from March 1 to February 28 of any given year.
All non-practicing members returning to active social work practice complete the online application through MyNLCSW including submission of the $250 fee in addition to requirements outlined in the table above.